Start Your Own Blog (Telerik Academy)
Your task is to create your own blog, post few technical articles and add links to Telerik Software Academy. Your blog should be active at least few months, ideally more long-term. You should post technical and other articles and backlinks to Telerik Academy and its affiliated sites.
If you already have a blog, you could use it instead of creating a new one.
Blog Hosting Options
There are several blog hosting options you may use. You may watch the “CMS Systems and WordPress” video from our SEO course.
Public Blog Hosting Services
There are numerous public free blog hosting providers. Some popular blog hosting services:
- Blogger.com / Blogspot.com – very popular, easy-to-use, limited control over the content
- WordPress.com – strong WordPress-based platform, very powerful
- PHPfog.com à install WordPress
Own Domain + Hosting + WordPress
You could purchase your own domain + web hosting and install your own blog platform.
Recommended Hosting Providers
- Free hosting on subdomain for 1 year (ask the trainers)
- 70% discount for paid hosting on your own domain (ask the trainers)
- Free hosting on subdomain for 2 years (ask the trainers)
- 80% discount for paid hosting on your own domain (ask the trainers)
- Free shared hosting on subdomain (no time limit)
Recommended Blogging Platforms
- WordPress – the world’s #1 blogging software platform, easy-to-use, huge community, and thousands free themes, plugins, etc.
- MovableType – a leading blogging and content publishing platform
- Sitefinity – a leading .NET based CMS system + Blog
You may use the built-in blog themes provided by your blog hosting platform / service. Optionally you may design and develop your own custom theme.
In case you prefer WordPress, you may be interested to try the following high-quality free themes:
· Boldy – http://wordpress.site5.net/boldy/
· Snowblind – http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/snowblind
· Ashford – http://ashford.turtleinteractive.com
· ZBench – http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/zbench
· Bueno – http://www.woothemes.com/2009/11/bueno/
· IFeature – http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/ifeature
· Skeleton – http://demos.simplethemes.com/skeleton
· iTheme2 – http://themify.me/themes/itheme2
· Busby – http://wplift.com/themes/busby
Publishing Your Blog Content
Your blog should be active, at least for few months.
- You should write at least 2 articles monthly
- You may post in Bulgarian or in English or in both languages (mix)
- You may post technical and other (e.g. personal) articles
What to Blog About?
Your blog content should be related to mainly to IT, technology, software development and computer programming. It may also include some personal stories (if you want). Ideas for blogging:
- Blog about your favorite programs you developed during the course (e.g. if you wrote your own “Snake” game or “Tetris” game blog about it).
- Blog about your most interesting C# programs in the C# course.
- Blog about upcoming events, e.g. the .NET user group’s seminars, upcoming exams, upcoming webinars, new versions of .NET, Windows 8, Visual Studio, …
- Blog about the academy – your experience at Telerik Academy. Be honest in your story. Explain the positives and negatives.
- Blog your essays you wrote in the Academy.
Ensure you have articles related to Telerik Academy and articles not mentioning it at all.
How to Write a Blog Post?
- Use a good title (short and descriptive summary)
- Structure the content by using sub-titles
- Use SEO-friendly URL (a.k.a. permalink / slug)
- Use at least one image for each post
- Use at most 1-2 external links
- Use may use rel=”nofollow” for the links you want to mention without giving a page rank (when linking to low-quality content)
- Write at least 10 sentences. Too short posts are not good idea.
- Use unique content, your own text and source code (avoid copy-pasting from Internet).
For more information, see the “Copywriting” video from our SEO course.
Linking to Telerik Academy
Your blog should give credit to Telerik Software Academy. This may be done in few ways.
Add sidebar links to the some of the academy Web sites (your favorites). You may add links to the following web sites (some of them, not all):
- The main Telerik Academy sites:
- The sites of the individual Telerik Academy courses:
- The sites of the Academy trainers:
- The affiliated Telerik Academy sites:
It is a good idea to link some other content, which is non-related to the Academy.
- Links to your favorite sites, e.g.
- Favorite sports or new sites
- Favorite technological sites / blogs
- Link to your projects and profiles
- Your Facebook / Twitter / Google+ profiles
- Some sites of your friends or follows
Link Anchor Text
You may add appropriate title and anchor text for the links to the Academy or just leave the link as URL. Best anchor texts to add (but please use variations of them):
- Курсове по програмиране / Курс програмиране / безплатно обучение по програмиране
- Уроци по програмиране – безплатно / уроци по програмиране / програмиране – уроци
- Уроци по програмиране за начинаещи / програмиране за начинаещи / академия по програмиране / академия по разработка на софтуер
- HTML курс / курс уеб дизайн / курс web design / уроци уеб дизайн / уроци уеб програмиране / фронт-енд курс / курс по HTML и CSS / курс по сайтаджийтво …
- SEO курс / курс по оптимизация за търсачки / SEO уроци / курс по SEO / курс по Интернет маркетинг …
You may add RSS widgets to display content from Telerik Academy in your blog’s sidebar:
Your blog will be meaningless if no one knows it exists, right? So put some effort to popularize it.
Links from Your Friend
Ask your friends who have sites or blogs to link to your new site.
- Update your profile in Facebook, Google Profiles, Google+, LinkedIn, etc. to include a link to your blog. Share articles from your blog in the social networks.
- Register yourself in www.crunchbase.com. Be sure to provide links to your blog and other sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Register yourself and your blog at http://id.capital.bg (seehttp://id.capital.bg/s.nakov as example).
- Register your blog at http://topbloglog.com.
Register your blog to directories and social bookmarking sites, e.g.
- www.dobavilink.info – a list of Bulgarian directories
- www.ebizmba.com/articles/social-bookmarking-websites – top 15 social bookmarking sites
- www.tipsntutorials.com/Top-Directories/ – a list of top international directories
Create your own public developer profile in the leading project hosting sites:
- GitHub profile at http://github.com
- Google Code profile at http://code.google.com
- CodePlex profile at http://www.codeplex.com
- Optionally create a developer profile in few less significant project hosting sites like:
Obligatory fill your profile and provide a link to your blog (or RSS if possible).
Upload Your Open-Source Projects
Upload your best projects from the academy as open source projects in your public developer profiles. Your public developer profile will be a good way to demonstrate your skills at a job interview. Steps to upload a project:
- Choose a project of your best to share publicly in Internet. This could be for example a console “Snake” game or solution to some of the problems from our courses. Upload good projects only. If your code is bad, the whole world will know, right?
- Review the source code and add backlinks to your blog in each of the source code files. Example:https://github.com/nakov/nakov.io.cin/blob/master/Cin.cs.
- Create a repository in GitHub / Google Code / CodePlex for your project and upload it. Be sure to put backlinks in the commit message.
- Create a description / wiki / home page for your repository and add backlinks to your blog.
- Add backlinks to your blog at all possible places. This will be rewarded later. Many bots and search engines will index your code and will display the links inside.
- Add comments / discussions / forums posts / etc. in your project with backlink to your blog.
Ideally, you should publish at least 5-6 projects in at least 3 public repositories. You may write a blog post about each of your projects and link you its repository from your blog post.
Create your public open-source developer profile at http://ohloh.net and register all your open-source projects. Follow these steps:
- Create your public Ohloh profile. Fill your info and add links to your blogs. Example: https://www.ohloh.net/accounts/nakov.
- Register at Ohloh your open-source projects from GitHub, Google Code and CodePlex at Ohloh: https://www.ohloh.net/p/new.
- For each registered project perform the following:
- Add RSS feeds to your blog, e.g.https://www.ohloh.net/p/schoolacademy/rss_articles
- Add links to your blog and other sites:https://www.ohloh.net/p/schoolacademy/links
Note that all your commits are monitored by Ohloh and backlinks from your source code or commit messages are published at Ohloh and other similar sites. So be sure to put backlinks in your commits and in the committed source code.
Other SEO Hints
- Create a Twitter profile at http://twitter.com. Link your Twitter account to your blog to automatically tweet all your posts. You may need a WordPress plugin.
- Create an http://identi.ca account and link your Twitter account to it.
- Connect your blog to Facebook to automatically share all your posts.
- Register your blog at http://topbloglog.com.
If you follow these hints each of your blog posts will be automatically shared on many locations with virtually zero effort.
Why You Should Have a Blog?
The final but most significant concept of the task is that it provides skills and knowledge that will be useful for your career development.
Why should you have a blog?
- To demonstrate your knowledge and expertise in software engineering
- To share your knowledge with others – Telerik Academy’s style
- To get noticed by potential employers or talent hunters
- To become part of the bloggers’ community
- Because having a blog is required from all telerikers who want to get promoted from a junior to a regular position
- Because it’s fun
Having a blog nowadays is essential, so why wait? Follow our step-by-step guide and start your blog today!
Blog Examples from Former Telerik Academy Students
If you wander how your blog could look like and what its content should be, you might find useful to check few good blog examples created by students who have graduated Telerik Academy: